A Return to Kingsbrae, Spring 2021
April 30 – May 7, 2021 and May 9-16, 2021
We’re thrilled that the kind folks at award-winning Kingsbrae International Residence for Artists (KIRA) have asked us to return to host back-to-back, week-long writing retreats at their facility this spring. The first retreat (May 9-16, 2021) filled up before we could advertise publicly, so Kingsbrae suggested we host another retreat the week before, April 30-May 7, 2021.
During the pandemic, the Go and Write! Kingsbrae retreats are open to New Brunswick residents only, and writers of all experience levels and genres are encouraged to attend. You’ll have the physical and mental space you need to get writing. You’ll have time for your mind, soul, and heart to wander. You’ll find encouragement and guidance, compassion, and mentorship with retreat leader Dr. Gerard Collins. And while you’ll be a safe distance from your fellow writers, it won’t be like the lockdown months that saw us light years apart.
The KIRA facilities may as well have been built for our times. The 7,000 square foot historic residence is impeccably-maintained, with only five bedrooms available, each spacious and with its own private bathroom.
Each participant will be assigned their own individual, freestanding writers’ studio. These studios are Wi-Fi-equipped and for your exclusive use during your stay. Retreat goers will also have free access to the award-winning Kingsbrae Garden – the garden will be just gearing up to open to the public, and we’ll have permission to wander throughout.
We’ll provide three catered suppers at the Kingsbrae Estate, as well as one boxed lunch and access to fresh fruit and bread products each morning. There are several restaurants in the seaside town as well, just a short walk from the estate.
When we hosted the writing retreat at Kingsbrae last fall, their COVID-19 safety measures exceeded our expectations. The estate is immaculate, your room and studios will remain untouched during your stay (with access to replacement linens, etc., of course), and KIRA staff will conduct regular sanitizing sessions throughout the duration of the retreat.
Local businesses in Saint Andrews-by-the-Sea are also taking the virus seriously, ensuring physical distancing, limiting the number of patrons, enforcing mask-wearing, and taking other protections.
Precautions for participants’ safety:
- Thorough sanitizing of residence and artist studios prior to arrival, and regular sanitizing of high-touch areas within the residence throughout our stay.
- Low number of participants – only five rooms available, each with private bathrooms.
- Retreat open to New Brunswick residents only.
- 7,000 sq-ft residence.
- Standalone, 300 sq-ft individual artist studios for your exclusive use.
- Your private bedroom/bathroom and writing studio will remain untouched during the retreat.
- Workshops and one-on-one meeting locations will be flexible depending on the weather, but always with physical distancing measures in mind. Our options will include the estate’s covered porches on warm days, and the spacious living rooms with physically distant seating.
Costs and what’s included
$1,315 per person based on single occupancy. Includes taxes and gratuities.
- 7 nights at the well-maintained and spacious KIRA historic estate, with private bedroom/bathroom.
- 2 writing workshops.
- 2 individual meetings with writer in residence Dr. Gerard Collins to discuss your work.
- 3 suppers, 1 lunch, fresh fruit & bread products each morning.
- Private, standalone writing studio on the KIRA grounds.
- Private group readings with conversation on several evenings.
- Written feedback on a piece of your writing that you submit in advance.
- A key feature for this retreat: fewer participants means more space for you as well as more time with the writer in residence.
Note: if the retreat needs to be cancelled due to COVID-19, or if you have to be isolated because of the illness, you will be issued a full refund.
Go and Write! Kingsbrae offers a rare opportunity to leave the rest of the world behind, to sit in safety alone in your own writing studio or private bedroom in a large turn-of the century mansion of a huge estate where you can be lost in your own thoughts for hours – even days. You’ll come away with a clearer sense of your writing project, what it’s all about, what you’ve been through, and where you go from here.
This is the only kind of writing retreat there can be right now: one that allows for distance, space, and, above all, has been engineered with safety in mind, so that your imagination can soar, you can stretch yourself, receive individual guidance from an award-winning published author, and come away feeling revitalized.
To register for the retreat or to get more information, please contact us.