Expectations and Rules
Our Go and Write! philosophy is that kindness and a positive attitude take you far in almost any situation. On any Go and Write! tour, you assume certain obligations and responsibilities to Go and Write! and to your fellow tour members, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Because we often choose accommodations and visit sites with historic character, they may offer fewer North American-style amenities, so be prepared to accept such things as slow, or no, Wi-Fi, carrying or rolling your own luggage over uneven pavement, hauling it up and down stairs, etc.
- Please be aware that the journey will possibly involve brisk walking tours, climbing stairs, getting on and off transportation, and, perhaps, standing and walking for hours inside museums and outdoors in all weather. We also can’t guarantee the places we visit will be accessible.
- Be prepared and able to navigate towns and cities on your own. We plan our writing retreats to enable you to have some time with the group and a reasonable amount of independent time.
- If you need help, you must bring an able companion who can be entirely responsible for providing the assistance, as we cannot do this for you.
- No smoking or vaping is allowed on the coach, in the accommodations, or where other tour members are present.
- While we do our very best to help everyone on our retreats have a great trip, it sometimes happens that someone can misbehave or do things that are incompatible with the safety, comfort, or convenience of other members of the tour. In those circumstances, we have the exclusive right and discretion to expel someone from a tour at any time, without refund.
- While traveling during the COVID-19 pandemic/endemic, we encourage practicing high health and safety standards. All participants must be fully vaccinated and have up-to-date boosters with a vaccine type approved in our destination. Participants agree to follow all safety precautions and health directives set by guides, by Go and Write!, and/or by local officials within the hosting country or by airport and airline officials. Examples may include maintaining proper physical distance, the use of face masks that cover your nose and mouth, regular temperature checks, proper hand-washing / sanitizing, quarantining if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 or other contagious illness, and/or being seen by a health professional at your own expense as a condition of continuing on with the tour. The possible precautions and directives required are not limited to the examples included here.
- Ensure you have all of the documents you need, including proof of vaccination, identification, and any required testing, and that you renew your passport if it is due to expire within 6 months of the travel date. Be aware that some airports require a government-issued photo I.D., in addition to your passport. Also, please note that each country, state, province, and airport has its own set of expectations – some of which might even change in the days leading up to our retreat – and it is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all of those requirements.
We HIGHLY recommend that all participants get travel and trip cancellation / interruption insurance, and check to see how the insurers handle COVID-19. Your non-refundable portion of your deposit is 100% non-refundable. If you cancel up to 6 months before a trip for any reason, including contracting COVID-19, any other payments you’ve made to us are returned to you, less the non-refundable deposit. If you cancel from 4-6 months before a trip, we will return 75% of any fees paid less your non-refundable deposit. If you cancel within 4 months, any fees paid cannot be returned. If the retreat needs to be postponed, we will make every attempt to reschedule. We can only offer refunds if our providers also refund monies to us.